The media subsystem consists on Linux support for several different types of devices:
- Audio and video grabbers;
- PC and Laptop Cameras;
- Complex cameras found on Embedded hardware;
- Analog and digital TV;
- HDMI Customer Electronics Control (CEC);
- Multi-touch input devices;
- Remote Controllers;
- Media encoders and decoders.
Due to the diversity of devices, the subsystem provides several different APIs:
- Remote Controller API;
- HDMI CEC API;
- Video4Linux API;
- Media controller API;
- Video4Linux Request API (experimental);
- Digital TV API (also known as DVB API).