Filesystems in the Linux kernel¶
This under-development manual will, some glorious day, provide comprehensive information on how the Linux virtual filesystem (VFS) layer works, along with the filesystems that sit below it. For now, what we have can be found below.
Core VFS documentation¶
See these manuals for documentation about the VFS layer itself and how its algorithms work.
- Overview of the Linux Virtual File System
- Pathname lookup
- Linux Filesystems API summary
- splice and pipes
- Directory Locking
- Changes since 2.5.0:
Filesystem support layers¶
Documentation for the support code within the filesystem layer for use in filesystem implementations.
- The Linux Journalling API
- Filesystem-level encryption (fscrypt)
- fs-verity: read-only file-based authenticity protection
Documentation for filesystem implementations.